Building and Sewage System Permits

Public Notice #9 - COVID-19, April 14, 2020

Protocol for the Submission of Building Permit Applications

Statement of Acknowledgement

 Building By-law 2020-0067 including Schedule A and B

Building/demolition permit applications and sewage disposal system (septic) applications are available at the Township.  Procedures for completing a sewage disposal system application and the documentation required is also available at the Township office.  If you already have a sewage disposal system (septic) on your property and wish to have it reviewed to ensure it will meet the requirements of your building project prior to submitting your building permit, please submit a Form 1 - Application for Existing Sewage System Inspection/Review.

Note: The information below is general in nature and is not to be considered as the only requirements for permit issuance. There are a number of other items that must be considered including, but not limited to, the general provisions of the zoning by-laws, the specific zone provisions of the by-laws, the definition section of the by-laws as well as applicable law that is governed by agencies other than the township.

Please Note: We cannot stress enough how important it is to always check with our Building Officials prior to undertaking any project. This is to ensure that you have met all requirements, have all the necessary approvals and are in compliance with all applicable regulations. Failure to do this can result in the delay of the processing of your application. If you have started your project, you could be required to remove it if it does not meet the application requirements. It is therefore, in your best interest to consult with us while your project is in the planning states.

Please call for an appointment to ensure we are available and to allow us to schedule the time required to properly review your application.

Chief Building Official/By-Law Enforcement Officer

705-656-4445 Ext. 237

Building Official/By-Law Enforcement Officer

705-656-4445 Ext. 231

When do I need a Building/Sewage Disposal System Permit?

  • A building permit/sewage disposal system permit is required for any addition to a home or cottage no matter what the size.
  • A building permit is required for open decks and porches.
  • A building permit is required for new solid fuel heating systems or the replacement of existing solid fuel heating systems.
  • A demolition permit is required prior to the demolition of any structure.
  • A building/sewage disposal system permit is not required for an accessory building 10 sq. metres (107 sq. ft.) in area or less unless this building is used for human habitation or has plumbing.
  • A permit is also required anytime a building is being used for a different purpose.
  • To construct, install or modify a sewage disposal system (septic).

How do I obtain a Building/Sewage Disposal System Permit?

To obtain a building/sewage disposal system permit, you are required to submit an application with a site plan showing compliance with the zoning by-laws for all set-backs and two copies of your building plans showing verification of compliance with the requirements of the Ontario Building Code as well as required permit fees.

Approvals from other agencies may be needed. These must be included with the building/sewage disposal system permit application. Some of the agencies involved could be.

What happens next?

Once the above application is received, the submitted application and plans are reviewed. If the submission is in compliance with the Building Code, municipal by-laws and other 'applicable law', then a permit is issued in respect to the project. If all the required information is not received, the application is returned with an explanation as to the what is needed.

What is meant by 'Applicable Law'?

Prior to the permit being issued, it must be shown that you are in compliance with any other agency that may have jurisdiction in respect to the proposal. This could be any of the following:

  • Peterborough Public Health
  • Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
  • Trent Severn Waterways
  • Crowe Valley Conservation Authority
  • Hydro One
  • Oceans & Fisheries Canada
  • Ministry of Transportation
  • County Roads Department
  • Municipal Road Department
  • Municipal Fire Department

Under what circumstances can a Building/Sewage Disposal System Permit be denied?

The Township cannot issue a building/sewage disposal system permit for any proposal that does not comply with the requirements of any other agency that may have jurisdiction of a certain aspect of a property whether this is water front work, sewage disposal, hydro setbacks, entranceways, etc. A building/sewage disposal system permit could be denied if the proposed structure does not comply with municipal by-laws or the Building Code Act. This is known as applicable law.

How long does it take to get a Building/Sewage Disposal System Permit?

If your application for a building/sewage disposal system permit is complete, the permit may be issued in 5 to 10 working days depending on the complexity of your proposal. If the application is incomplete, it will be returned. Note: If a site inspection is required prior to the permit being issued, the above time frame may be extended.

How much does a Building/Sewage Disposal System Permit cost?

For building permits, fees are based on the value of construction. There is a cost of construction list in By-Law #2015-045, Schedule A, B, C and this is used to determine the required fees. The minimum permit fee is $150.00 for construction. The fee for a demolition permit is $150.00

Fees for sewage disposal permits, By-Law #2014-33, Schedule A, B, C, D, E lists the appropriate fees. For most new systems, the fee is $680.00

What inspections are needed?

Mandatory inspections by the Chief Building Official are required at specific stages of construction. These inspections are to ensure that building code regulations are being followed. Two days notice to the Building Department is required for building inspections and five days for sewage disposal systems..

How long does a building/sewage disposal system permit remain in effect?

Once a building/sewage disposal system permit has been issued, construction must be started within 6 months of permit issuance or the permit will lapse. Once the construction has been started, the person that the permit was issued to cannot discontinue construction for more than a year or the permit will lapse.

When do I need a Sewage Disposal System Permit?

A Sewage Disposal System Permit is required when:

  • The number of bedrooms, bathrooms or kitchen facilities are being increased
  • An addition of any type is more than 15% of the existing floor area
  • A major renovation or change of occupancy is proposed
  • When the Township does not have sufficient information on an existing septic system
  • If it appears that the construction of any building is closer than 5 ft. to a tank or 17 ft. to a weeping bed 

What are Hydro One's requirements?

A 16.5 ft. separation is required between main feeder hydro lines and any construction. A 5 ft. separation between secondary lines and construction is required.

What permits do I need to do work on my waterfront?

Trent Severn Waterways (Stoney Lake properties)

A permit is required for any 'in water' work (docks, boathouses, retaining walls). This refers to new construction as well as repairs to existing facilities.

Crowe Valley Conservation Authority

In the Chandos Ward, approval is required for any 'in water' work (docks, boathouses, retaining walls), shoreline alterations, additions to buildings and new buildings. They can be contacted at P.O. Box 416, 70 Hughes Lane, Marmora, ON, K0K 2M0, phone 613-472-3137, fax 613-472-5526,

Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO)

Approval is required for any 'in water' work (docks, boathouses, retaining walls). They can be contacted at 705-750-0269. This refers to new construction as well as repairs to existing facilities.

Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry

A permit is required for any docks over 140 sq. ft. in area and/or any retaining wall construction. They can be contacted at 613-332-3940. Note: While the M.N.R.F. does not require a permit for docks under 140 sq. ft. they still have jurisdiction. Concrete is not permitted to be placed in the water for new construction or repairs to existing facilities. Contact MNRF in respect to their jurisdiction.

Information Packages and Links

Below are links to some information packages that you may find helpful.

Contact Us