Commissioner of Oaths

What is a Commissioner of Oaths?

A Commissioner of Oaths is a person designated to take oaths or declarations when you sign an affidavit or statutory declaration on a document. The Municipal Clerk, Deputy Clerk, Treasurer and Deputy Treasurer may act as a Commissioner of Oaths by virtue of their office.

A Commissioner of Oaths is not the same as a Notary Public.  The municipality does not provide Notary Public services. If your document requires the signature of a Notary Public or you require certified true copies of a document you will need to contact a private lawyer or other Notary Public.

For more information about Commissioner of Oaths and Notary Public services, visit the Province of Ontario’s website.

We recommend that you contact us (705-656-4445) before your visit to confirm that a Commissioner is available. We cannot always guarantee that we can commission documents until we see them. Municipal staff who are Commissioners reserve the right to refuse commissioning services of any document.

Documents the municipality may not commission

The Commissioner of Oaths only completes documents that indicate the need for Commissioner of Oaths’ signature. Due to their complex or legal nature of some documents, the Commissioner of Oaths will not sign, or witness documents related to:

  • Wills, living wills, codicils to wills, or estate settlement
  • Powers of attorney
  • Divorce, separation, or marriage agreements
  • Custody
  • Real estate matters (include sale, purchase, and mortgages)
  • Debt
  • Documents that are not in English or that do not have English descriptors
  • Certified true copies
  • Documents requiring the signature of a Notary Public


If you have a document or affidavit to be signed by a commissioner of oaths please ensure:

  • You have not signed the document - the document must be signed by the same individual(s) who will be taking the oath in the presence of the Commissioner. If the document requires two individuals to take the oath both parties must be present;
  • You present an original piece of government issued photo identification such as a valid driver's licence or passport (copies will not be accepted);
  • The document does not require a notary (The municipality does not provide this service);
  • You have completed the document prior to signing - no information can be added after the Commissioner has signed and stamped the documents;
  • You have read and understand the contents of the document prior to your declaration;
  • The document is written in English.


There is an $10.00 fee for each document. You can pay by cash, debit or cheque. 

For more information about Commissioning a document please contact the Clerk.

Contact Us